Disabling Anti-Virus in Windows
- Locate the antivirus protection program icon on the Windows Notification Area next to the date and time on your computer.
Below are some examples of how program icon may look.
[McAfee, Norton, and AVG examples.]
- Once the antivirus icon has been located, right-click the icon and select disable, stop, or something similar. In some cases, you may need to open the program control center and disable it using the program’s menus.
How to disable Microsoft Security Essentials
In the previous section, we mentioned how to disable many third party antivirus programs and that some of them require more than a few clicks in the Systray. MSE is one of the special cases we get asked about frequently.
- Click the Microsoft Security Essentials Icon in the Windows Notification area and then click open.
- Click the Settings tab then Real-time protection.
- Uncheck the box next to Turn on real-time protection (recommended).
- Save your changes